The Cannonball StealthStarter system converts your classic kickstart-only motorcycle to electric start. After installation you just push the button or turn the key to fire up your classic Big Twin.
The Cannonball SSK electric start system bolts between kicker cover and transmission case. The stock kick starter can be retained. Due to the system’s low profile, only 19 mm wide construction the overall appearance of your motorcycle will remain virtually unchanged. Primary drive, primary housing and oil tank will stay untouched.
Installation is fairly easy and straightforward. The kit includes everything needed for the conversion except for the extended throwout bearing, battery, wires and starter button/switch.
If the bike is still equipped with an early stock 6 V electrical system, you will have to convert this to 12 V. Depending on the configuration some other options are available separately.
Since the kicker cover moves 19 mm to the right the following modifications may be necessary:
- A longer brake crossover shaft will be necessary on all bikes using the original mechanical rear brake in conjunction with the original 2-1 or similar exhaust. A longer crossover shaft can be ordered separately if needed.
- Original rear fenders need to be slightly dented for starter motor clearance. Alternatively, an aluminum “Dent” can be ordered separately. In this case the fender needs to be cut out to allow the “dent” to be mounted with the original lower fender mount bolt and the two oil tank/battery tray bolts.
CAUTION! Start in neutral only!Just like on a kickstart system, the Cannonball SSK System starts the engine by turning the transmission mainshaft. And just like on a kickstart system you MUST NEVER actuate the starter with the bike in gear. If you do so the starter motor will move the bike forcefully forward even if the clutch is disengaged.This can be avoided however by wiring the starter button through the neutral switch, which is highly recommended.
Under protection of patent PCT/EP2019/063121.
CAUTION! Use with well tuned engines only!This starter kit is designed for properly tuned stock engines or equivalent. Just as a poorly tuned engine that backfires on kick-starting can cause damage to the operator’s foot and / or knee, it can also cause damage to the Cannonball starter system.An engine must first be cleanly set up and start without kickback with a kickstarter before the starter can be installed.
- fits rigid frame 4-speed Big Twins
- steel / aluminum
- 1.4 kW
CB Cannonball Starter Systems BatteriesW&W recommends the use of Antigravity 12-cell or 16-cell batteries.
CB SSK on Custom Rigids with 65-up TransmissionsInstallation of this starter kit on rigid-frame-bikes that use an 65-up transmission made for aluminium primary requires that mounting tabs on the transmission housing are ground down a few millimeters for starter motor clearance.
CB SSK Prevents Rolling BackwardsWith the bike in gear and clutch disengaged, it does not roll backwards anymore. This is a helpful feature, when taking off uphill, particularly in combination with a foot clutch.
CB SSK with Reverse Gear Transmissions
The SSK Kickstarter kits will work with reverse gear transmissions.
- with the bike in 1st gear and clutch disengaged the bike can be pushed forward, but does not roll backwards
- with the bike in reverse gear and clutch disengaged the bike can roll backwards but cannot be pushed forward
Cannonball StealthStarter SSK Extended Throwout Bearings
Cannonball SSK Extended Clutch Release Lever
Cannonball SSK Puller Tool
Cannonball SSK-R "A Dent"
Cannonball SSK-R Crossover Shaft
Have any questions?
Our service team will be glad to help out: Mondays - Thursdays 08:00-17:00 CET, Fridays 08:00-16:00 CET, Phone: +49 / 931 250 61 16, eMail: firstname.lastname@example.org